Long, cool summer days, bathed in sunlight, the wild untouched soils of Nordic forests— these are the optimum growing conditions for wild lingonberries.
The combination of cold temperatures and prolonged sunlight is the perfect climate cocktail to ramp up the antioxidant content and rich, tart, tangy taste of wild lingonberries.
Lingonberries Protect Our Bodies From Oxidative Cell Damage
Lingonberries carry a higher antioxidant content than blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cranberries.
Dried lingonberries have five times the antioxidant potential of other berry products. Thanks to our freeze-drying process, LOOV Food’s wild lingonberry powder retains most of the berries’ original nutritional value.
Antioxidants protect your body cells from damage by free radicals. They do this in two ways:
- Antioxidants scavenge and neutralise free radicals in the body
- They support the function of your body’s natural antioxidant enzymes and systems
The normal essential functions of our bodies, like breaking down glucose to fuel exercise or our immune system fighting bacteria, release free radicals. These reactive compounds can also come from pollutants in the environment and UV rays from the sun.
Unchecked buildup of free radicals in the body causes oxidative stress. It damages cells in the body and leads to inflammation, which contributes to aging and health conditions, like diabetes, cancer and Alzheimer’s.
Since we can’t entirely control the release of free radicals in our bodies, any health regimen should include antioxidants to help our bodies block the damage caused by oxidative stress.
That’s why wild lingonberries are a superfood. They contain a high amount of antioxidants (anthocyanins and quercetin).
Lingonberries also give you a good amount of vitamin C, E and manganese. Vitamin C and E are antioxidants, while manganese is a key component of the antioxidant enzyme SOD.
You can sprinkle our wild lingonberry powder on porridge, yoghurt and desserts, or try our Buckwheat Waffles with Dark Chocolate and Lingonberry Powder recipe.
Lingonberries Keep Your Brain Young
Our brains are in a race against time and the ageing process. Diet and lifestyle choices can radically shift how healthy our brains become with age.
Lingonberry powder is a brain superfood. It contains a concentrated amount of polyphenols (anthocyanins and quercetin), which are easily transported from the gut to the blood and across the highly restrictive blood-brain barrier.
The high polyphenol content of lingonberry powder helps your brain in several ways:
- Multiple studies have shown that polyphenols reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, dementia, and Parkinson’s disease by curbing inflammation in the brain.
- Polyphenols improve the core skills that your brain uses to function, like short-term and long-term memory and spatial learning.
- By preventing the buildup of naturally occurring neurotoxins, polyphenols protect brain cells from damage.
- They lead to increased blood flow to the brain, which helps to reverse brain cell damage and can trigger the generation of new brain cells.
Anticancer Activity of Lingonberries
If you wanted to create a nutrient that fights cancer in all of its stages, you couldn’t have designed it better.
Studies have shown that lingonberry extracts have several anticancer benefits:
- Inhibiting the growth of human cancer cells—mainly through the combined function of antioxidants and vitamin C
- Blocking the modification of proteins that UVB rays trigger
- Causing programmed cell death for cancerous cells
- Helping to prevent the development of tumours brought about by carcinogens in the environment.
Lingonberries Help Prevent and Manage Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
When our bodies store excess fat, the fatty tissue has complex interactions with your immune system, leading to prolonged inflammation and metabolic dysfunction.
The antioxidants present in wild lingonberry powder can help you fight these metabolic disorders by:
- Blocking gut enzymes, which fast track the absorption of dietary fat and sugar
- Reducing the buildup of fat cells in the liver and other parts of the body
- Decreasing your blood sugar levels by helping your body use glucose more efficiently. This slows down the absorption of sugar into the blood thanks to high polyphenol and fiber content.
- Reducing the amount of bad cholesterol in the body
What does this mean for your health?
In a nutshell, if your body produces too much or too little of essential substances, lingonberry powder can help manage and reverse resulting metabolic conditions like:
Lingonberries Give You a Healthier Gut and Body
The trillions of tiny citizens living in your mouth, throat and intestines form your gut microbiota. They are your second brain and influence multiple body systems, including your immune system, your metabolism and even your mental health.
Studies on diets with lingonberries show they change the composition of your gut microbiota. The polyphenols in lingonberries increase the type of bacteria associated with lower weight and reduced inflammation in the gut.
Your gut microbiota thrive on and find balance on a diet that is high-fibre, low sugar and rich in antioxidants—the lingonberry trifecta.
A healthy, diverse microbiota supports:
- A healthy metabolism by triggering the production of hormones
- Your immune system—80% of your immune cells are in the gut
- Control of gut inflammation
- Fat regulation in the body
- Weight control by regulating appetite, digestion, hunger and fat storage
- Mental health by fighting anxiety and depression
Lingonberries Are Natural Antimicrobial Agents
What if we told you wild lingonberry powder can help you fight tooth decay?
It sounds far-fetched but, the polyphenols in lingonberry are a wonder.
In nature, these chemicals protect lingonberry plants from insect and microbe invasion. They give us this bonus benefit by fighting the growth of bacteria that cause cavities and fungal infections like thrush. Extracts from freeze-dried lingonberry also significantly inhibit the multiplication of certain viruses (like influenza A and coxsackievirus B1).
Organic Wild Lingonberry Powder in Your Daily Diet
Lingonberries have, for hundreds of years, fuelled the nutrition of communities in the Scandinavian region. From lingonberry juice and jams to simple pickles in water, lingonberries have lent their tart and tangy flavour to both savoury and sweet recipes.
That they grow abundantly in the wild Nordic forests makes them a nutritional powerhouse and staple for many in the region.
In fact, our own story with LOOV Food began as a celebration of these wild superfoods in our forests. It then grew into a commitment to share the 100% organic, natural and powerful nutrition with the rest of the world.
How to Use Lingonberry Powder in Your Recipes
Now that you know the benefits of lingonberry powder, how can you fit it into your daily diet?
Lingonberry powder has the same tart taste of the fresh berries and can be used in cooking to complement sweet and savoury flavours.
Here’s what our customers have to say:
|Lingonberry Powder Recipe Idea
|Fresh fruit platter with a dip made of nut butter and lingonberry powder
Strawberry smoothie with Lingonberry powder
Buckwheat Waffles with Dark Chocolate and Lingonberry Powder
Healthy muffins with lingonberry cream (substitute freeze-dried lingonberries with the powder)
|Finnish Spinach Pancakes (substitute the lingonberry preserves with lingonberry powder)
|Baked brie filled and topped with lingonberry sauce
|Raw, vegan, layered berry cheesecake with a nut and lingonberry powder filling
Pears poached in lingonberry and cinnamon
Frequently Asked Questions About Lingonberry Powder
Should I store my lingonberry powder in the refrigerator?
No, you don’t have to store lingonberry powder in the fridge. It can keep for months on a cool, dry shelf away from direct sunlight. Remember to reseal the airtight packaging after each use to maintain freshness.
Now that you know all about how wild lingonberry powder can help you live healthier and longer, shop our 100% organic powders today.
Share on Pinterest: